['success, in this earlier effort again
drolly examines the tangled relationships between men and women. Edinburgh; Filmhouse
O The Thing (18) (John Carpenter. US. 1982) Kurt Russell. A. Wilford Brimley. 108 mins. A remote Arctic outpost is terrorised by an alien organism in this grisly remake of the 1950’s classic. Glasgow; Grosvenor o Thunderblrds Are Go! (U) (Gerry Anderson, UK. 1966) Scott. Virgil. Alan, Brains. Lady Penelope. 90 mins. The world‘s most advanced spaceship falls into the evil mitts of the villainous Hood. Can International Rescue save the day? Will you be able to spot the strings? Three guesses. Edinburgh: Filmhouse
0 Top Gun (15) (Tony Scott. US. 1986) Tom Cruise. Kelly McGillis. 110 mins. Glossy. mindless American pap with hunky pilot Cruise proving his worth in the air and on the ground. Nauseatingly patriotic but some aerial sequences are breathlessly effective. Edinburgh; Marcos Cinema
0 True Stories (PG) (David Byrne. US. 1986) David Byrne. Spalding Gray. John Goodman. 88 mins. Writer/Director/Star and Talking Heads front man Byrne is our guide to the mythical small Texas town of Virgil and its variously charming and idiosyncratic inhabitants.
A lightly humorous. endearing mosaic of non-narrative fiction that some may find a little too ‘precious’ for its own good. Glasgow; Grosvcnor o Twice in a Lifetime (15) (Bud Yorkin. US. 1985) Gene Hackman. Ellen Burstyn. Ann-Margret. 111 mins. Some wonderful performances and perceptive moments illuminate this thoughtful portrait of a typical blue-collar American family and their diverse reactions when solid. dependable ‘grandpa‘ Hackman dumps his wife of long standing in favour ofthe attractive widow he meets at the local pub. Recommended for those who thought American cinema had lost sight ofpost-teen heartaches. Glasgow:GF1‘
o Whoops Apocalypse (15) (Tom Bussman. UK. 1986) Peter Cook. Loretta Swit. Rik Mayall. 92 mins. A reworking of the London Weekend Television series in which a variety of international incidents. from the kidnapping of Princess Wendy to the dispatch of a British task force to Central America. escalate towards the brink of a nuclear holocaust. Reputedly a dim. frantic scattershot black comedy where the misses far outweigh the hits. Glasgow; Cannon Sauchiehall Street. Strathclyde: Cannon Kilmarnockj O The Wraith ( 18) (Mike Marvin. US. 1986) Charlie Sheen. Nick Cassavetes. Griffin O‘Neal. 92 mins. Small town vengeance is the well-worn theme of this unsubtle little thriller in which a mysterious stranger in a black Turbo Interceptor challenged the bad guys and appears to be the reincarnation of someone’s murdered brother. Notable for a cast pregnant with famous offspring. Strathclyde: Cannon Greenock
Friday 3—Thursday 9
This section gives details of programmes showing at cinemas in central Scotland over the next week. Readers are advised that programmes may be subject to late change at any time.
Cinemas operating a family discount scheme allow an adult accompanying a child to ‘U’ and ‘PG' certificate programmes to gain admission for the same price as the child up to 6pm.
GLASGOW CINEMAS '
O CANNON Clarkston Road. Muirend. 637 2641. £2.000AP£1. Family discount scheme operates. 1. DverThe Top (PG) 5.45pm. 8.45pm; Sat also 2.45pm.
2. Crocodile Dundee ( 15) 5.45pm. 8.45pm: Sat also 2.45pm.
3. The Golden Child (PG) 6.35pm. 8.35pm; Sat also 2.35pm. 4.35pm.
0 CANNON Sauchiehall Street. 332 1592. £2.50(£1.30).
1. Overthe Top (PG) 1.30pm. 4.30pm. 8.35pm.
2. Stand by Me(15) 1.2()pm.3.3()pm. 5.45pm. 8.40pm.
3. Whoops Apocalypse ( 15) 1.45pm. 4.45pm. 8.55pm.
4. Children ofa Lesser God ( 15) 1.30pm, 4.30pm. 8.05pm.
5. The Golden Child (PG) 1.30pm. 4.30pm. 8.05pm.
0 CANNON GRAND 18 Jamaica Street. 248 4620. £2 (£1).
Adult movies. Phone for details.
0 CINEMA Southgate. East Kilbride. 03552 31020. [D] cinema 1. £2 Child/UB40/OAP£1. Closed Mon/Tue.
1. Peggy Sue Got Married (PG)
2. Crocodile Dundee (15)
0 GROSVENOR Ashton Lane. Hillhead. 339 4298. [D] with prior notification. £2 Child/UB40/Student/OAP£1.20. 1. Overthe Top (PG) 2.50pm. 5.50pm, 8.50pm.
2. Crocodile Dundee (15) 2.35pm. 5.35pm. 8.35pm.
See also Glasgow Lates.
O ODEON FILM CENTRE Renfield Street. 332 8701 . Bar open from 5.30pm. Mon—Sat. £2.75 OAP /Child £1.50UB40/Studentconcs £1.50 available as advertised.
1. The Fourth Protocol (15)2. 15pm. 5.15pm. 8.15pm.
2. Crocodile Dundee (15) 1.40pm, 3.40pm, 5.45pm. The Color of Money (15) 8.20pm.
3. Mosquito Coast ( 15) 2.30pm. 5.30pm. 8.20pm.
0 SALON Vinicombe Street. 339 4256. [D] with advance notification. Matinees. Adult/Child £1.50 OAP/UB40 50p. Evenings. All seats £1.50.
the Fly (18) 2pm. 7.40pm.
GLASGOW FILM THEATRE
(Student/UB40£1. 10). Fri mats. £1.30(All concs 50p). Evenings. £2.40 (Student/UB40£1 .60). All perfs. Child/OAP£1. 10.
o FRIDAY 3:
Mona Lisa (18) 3.30pm. 6pm. 8.30pm.
0 SATURDAY 4:
Giant (PG) 2pm. Mona Lisa (18)6pm. 8.30pm.
0 SUNDAY 5:
Salvador ( 18) 5.30pm. 8pm.
0 MONDAY 6:
The Blues Brothers ( 15) 3pm. 5.45pm. Salvador ( 18) 8.30pm.
0 TUESDAY 7:
King Kong's Fist 6pm. Salvador ( 18) 8.30pm.
0 WEDNESDAY 8:
Twice in a Lifetime (15) 3.30pm. 6pm. 8.30pm.
0 THURSDAY 9:
Salvador ( 18) 6pm. 8.30pm.
LAS OW LATES
O GROSVENOR Ashton Lane. Fri 3/SatA:
1. Backto the Future (PG) 11pm. 2.9‘/2Weeks(18)11pm.
O CANNON Lothian Road. 229 3030. Bar: Ham—2.30pm. 5—10pm (Mon—Thurs). 11am—11pm (Fri/Sat). 5—10pm(Sun). [D] cinemas 2 & 3 prior notification advisable. £2.90. £2.50 Child £1.60. £1.50OAP£1 (before 6pm). Family discount scheme operates. 1.0verthe Top (PG) 2.30pm. 5.30pm. 8.30pm; Sun 5.30pm. 8.30pm. 2.Children of a Lesser God ( 15) 2pm. 5pm, 8pm; Sun 5pm. 8pm.
3. The Golden Child (PG) 2.50pm. 5.50pm. 8.50pm; Sun 5.50pm. 8.50pm.
0 CAMEO Home Street. 228 4141. [D] Bar open Mon—Sat6—11.30pm; Sun 6—11pm. Matine’es Mon—Fri£1.20. All other times £2.70.
Stand ByMe ( 15) 3.45pm (not Sun). 5.30pm. 7. 15pm. 9pm. On Thurs 9 Apr there will be an AIDS benefit screening of Spike Lee‘s She's Gotta Have "(18) 11.15pm. Tickets are bookable now priced £2.50.
Sun 5: Heart Beat (18) 3pm.
See also Edinburgh Lates.
O DOMINION Newbattle Terrace. 447 2660. Rest 10am—2pm & 6—l 1pm (Mon-Fri). 10am-1 1pm (Sat). Bar 12—2.30pm. 6—10pm (Mon—Sat). Cinema closed Sun. £2.50. £2.20. Child£l.20OAP£l UB40/Students £1.20. (all perfs except evng perfs in cinema 3).
1. Crocodile Dundee (15) 2. 15pm. 5.15pm.8.15pm.
2. Basil, The Great Mouse Detective (U) plus cartoons. 1.50pm. 3.55pm. 5.55pm. Mona Lisa ( 18) one performance daily at 8.50pm.
3. Room With A View (PG) 2pm. 5pm. 8pm.
0 MARCOS CINEMA Marco‘s Leisure Centre. Grove Street. 228 2141. Tickets£l .50 (evenings); £1 .95 (afternoons). Programme details subject to very late changes.
Advisable to check with venue in advance.
Top Gun ( 15) daily at 2pm. 5pm. 7pm. 9pm.
0 ODEON Clerk Street. 667 7331. Bar 6—9pm. Partial wheelchair access. Tickets £2 (cones £1.50) for performances commencing before 6pm. Tickets £2.70 (concs £2) for performances commencing after 6pm.
1. Flight ofthe Navigator (U) 1.45pm. 3.50pm. 6pm: Sun 6pm.
Crocodile Dundee (15)9pm.
2. The ColorofMoney(15) 2.15pm. 5.25pm. 8.10pm; Sun 5.25pm. 8.10pm.
3. Mosquito Coast ( 15) 2pm (Fri and Sat only). 5.30pm. 8. 15pm.
From Mon 6: Back to the Future (PG) 2pn1
o PLAYHOUSE Leith Walk. 557 2590. [1)] £2 UB40/Student/Child £1. OAP 10p.
No cinema listings this issue.
Lothian Road. 228 2688. Bar (Mon—Sat. noon—l 1pm. Sun 6.30—1 1pm) Rest (Mon—Sat. noon—9pm). [E]
Matinees £1 .20(concs 75p); Early evgs £2 (concs £1 .50); Main evgs and Double Bills £2.30 bookable in advance. No concessions on Sats. O FRIDAY 3:
1. Dtello (U) 2. 15pm. 5.45pm. 8.15pm.
2. Boy Soldier ( 15) 3pm. 6.30pm. 8.30pm.
0 SATURDAY 4:
1. Thunderbirds Are Go! (U) 2pm. Otello (U) 5.45pm. 8. 15pm.
2. Charles Rennie Mackintosh (U) and The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (U) 2.15pm. BoySoldier(15) 4.30pm. 6.30pm. 8.30pm.
0 SUNDAY 52
1. Shoah, Part I 5.30pm.
2. Kanakerbraut (18) and The Man Who Jumped To His Death (15) 7.30pm.
0 MONDAY 6:
1. Shoah, Partl 12 noon. At Close Range ( 15)5.45pm. 8.15pm.
2. Eraserhead (18)6.15pm. 8.30pm. 0 TUESDAY 7:
1. At Close Range (15) 2.30pm. 5.45pm. 8.15pm.
2. Eraserhead(18)6.15pm.8.3()pm. O WEDNESDAY 8:
1. Romeo and Juliet (U) 2.30pm. 5.45pm. 8.15pm.
2. Art in Cinema, Programme 1 (PG) 6.30pm. 8.30pm.
0 THURSDAY 9:
1. Romeo and Juliet (U) 2.30pm. The
Hitcher ( 18) 6.30pm. 8.30pm.
2. Art in Cinema, Programme I (PG) 3pm. Not Nothing Without You (18) and On The Wall (15) 7pm.
O CAMEO Home Street.
Fri 3: The Blues Brothers (15) and Rumblefish (18) 11.15pm.
Sat4: Blood for Dracula ( 18) and Flesh for Frankenstein ( 18) 11.15pm.
Thurs 9: She’s Gotta Have lt(18) AIDS Benefit Screening at 11.15pm. Tickets bookable now priced £2.50.
The List 3 — 16 April 15