I La Vie Est Belle (PG) (Ngangura Mweze & Benoit Lamy. Zaire/Belgium/France. 1987) Papa Wemba. Bibi Krubwa. 83 mins. Zairean star Wemba more or less plays himself in this high-spirited comedy that looks at an ambitious artist ‘s game attempts to break into Kinshasa‘s music biz. Engaging frolics with a winning soundtrack: rather different in tone to the serious artistry of African film-makers like Oussama Sembene or Med Ilondo. but the naivety and genuine charm are welcome all the same. Edinburgh: Filmhouse.
IThe Waroithe Roses ( 15) (Danny DeVito. US. 1989) Michael Douglas. Kathleen Turner. Danny DeVito. Marianne Sagebrecht. 116 mins. DeVito‘s second movie is a searingly bleak. anti-divorce comedy. in which hisold collaborators Douglas and Turner play Oliver and Barbara Rose. an idyllic happy couple who turn vicious when their marriage turns sour. It shares with their earlier Throw Momma From the Train a delight in nastiness and a llitchcokian control of image and tension. The wee man himself takes an unusuallystraight cameo role as the lawyer trying to prevent disaster. A truckload ofuncomfortable laughs. Glasgow: ()deon. Edinburgh: Odeon. Central: Regal. Strathclyde1UCI Clydebank. UCI East Kilbride.
I Watermelon Man ( 15) (Melvin Van Peebles. US. 1970) Godfrey Cambridge. Estelle Parsons. Howard Carine. 100 mins. Obnoxious. energetic insurance salesman and noted bigot Cambridge wakes up one morning to find that he‘s turned intoa black man. No. it‘s not the side-effects ofa sun tan. nor is it an excess of soya sauce in the bloodstream. for he is now a genuine Afro-American. Sharply observed comic comment on racism (despite a none-too-convincing make-up job). though the fact that the centralcharacter also becomes a nice guy when his skin changes colour deosn't quite test one's attitudes as stringently as it might. Edinburgh: Filmhouse.
I The Witches (PG) ﬁ (Nic Roeg. US. 1989) Anjelica Huston. Mai Zetterling. Rowan Atkinson. 91 mins. See review. Glasgow: Cannon The Forge. (‘annon Sauchiehall Street. Edinburgh: Cannon. Strathclyde: UCI (‘lydebank. L'Cl East Kilbride.
I Yaaba (PG) (ldrissa Ouedraogo. Burkina Faso. 1989) Fatimata Sanga. Noufou ()uedraogo. Roukietou Barry. 90 mins. Yaaba is a lonely old woman who has been rejected by the villagers ofthe small desert community. but young Bila. a boy who treats the local scrub as hisown adventure playground. is soon to break through the aura of mystery and suspicion that surrounds her. Inventive African feature whose narrative charm has won a wide international reputation and audience. Recommended. Glasgow: GET.
RIVER SIGHTSEEING TRIPS & CANDLELIT DINNERS from BROOMIELAW LANDING at Corner Jamaica Street and Railway Bridge Times 8: Fares from Ticket Kiosk 31 Broomielaw 041 221 8702
38'1‘he List 18—31 131$in
LISTINGS WEEK ONE
Friday 18—Thursday 24
Readers are advised that programmes may be subject to late change at anytime. [D] indicates that wheelchair access is available. though prior notitication is advisable. [E] indicates the availability oian induction loop. tor the convenience oi hearing aid users.
' GLASGOW CINEMAS
I CANNON Clarkston Road. Muirend.(ﬂ7 2641. £2.50(Child/OAP£1.50).
1. Pretty Woman ( 15) 2.05pm (Sat only). 5.05pm. 8.05pm.
2. Look Who's Talking ( 12) 2.311pm (Sat only). 5.30pm. 8.30pm.
I CANNON The Forge. Parkhead. 556 4282/4343. [E] (screens 1.3 and5). Shows commencing before 6pm £1 .75; after 6pm £3 (Child £1.75).
1. Look Who'sTalking ( 12) 1.15pm. 3.45pm. 6.05pm. 8.40pm.
2. Pretty Woman ( 15) 2pm. 5.25pm. 8.20pm.
3. All Dogs Go To Heaven (U) 1.15pm. The Krays(18) 3.35pm. 6.05pm.8.40pm (not Thurs).
4. Leviathan (18) 1.30pm. 3.50pm. 6.15pm.8.45pm.
5. The The Hunt For Red October (PG) 2pm. 5.10pm.8.10pm.
6. The Rescuers (U) 1.15pm. IntemalAiiairs(18)3.111pm.5.4t)pm. 8.35pm.
7. Courage Mountain (U) 1.15pm.
A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child(18) 3.35pm. 6.25pm.8.50pm.
See also Glasgow Lates.
I CANNON Sauchiehall Street. 332 1592. £3 (Child £1.60; OAP [before 6pm] £1.60). Two bars open 6—9.30pm (Mon—Sat); 6.30—9.30pm (Sun).
1. internal Aitairs(181 1.35pm.4.50pm. 8pm.
2. The Hunt ior Red October ( PG) 1.15pm. 4.30pm. 7.45pm. 3.JohnnyHandsome(15)1.15pm.3.4()pm. 5.50pm. 8.20pm.
4. Torrents Oi Spring (PG) 2.20pm (not Sat). 5.20pm. 8. 15pm.
Ski Patrol (PG) (Sat only) 1.05pm. 3.20pm.
5. Uncle Buck(12) 2.15pm.5. 15pm. 8.15pm.
I CITY CENTRE ODEON Renfield Street. 332 8701. Licensed bar. [1)] screens 2. 3 and 4. £2.95 (Child‘OAP £1 .75 [£2.25 last show]; Student/[1840 £2.25 [available as advertised]). Luxury seatsalso available in screen 1 £3. 10. £3.50. All ticketsfor shows commencing before 1.30pm £1.75. Advance booking available from box office ( 1 lam—7.30pm) or by Visa Access hotline (333 9551). PrettyWoman(15)12.15pm.2.45pm. 5.30pm. 8.40pm.
All Dogs Go To Heaven ( 1:) 1.15pm. 3.30pm.
The War OiThe Roses ( 15) 5.45pm. 8.40pm.
Enemies—A Love Story 12.45pm. 3. 15pm. 5.45pm. 8.35pm.
The Krays(18) 12.30pm. 3pm.5.45pm. 8.40pm.
1 Look Who's Talking ( 12) 12.45pm. 3.30pm.
Leviathan(18) 1.25pm. 3.40pm.6.10pm. 8.50pm.
I GROSVENOR Ashton Lane. llillhead. 339 4298/7814. £2.50 (Student/UB40£2: Child/OAP £1.50). Seats can now be booked for last evening and late screenings: the box office is open 2—7pm. 1. Driving Miss Daisy (U).
2. Cinema Paradiso (PG) 2. lUpm (not Sun). 5.20pm. 8.05pm.
See also Glasgow Lates.
I SALON Vinicombe Street. 339 4256. Circle £2.75: Stalls £2.50 (Student/U840 £2; ChilcUOAP£1.50).
Pretty Woman ( 15) 2pm. 5.20pm. 7.50pm.
Rose Street. 332 6535. Cafe/bar open 30 mins prior to evening shows; closes 9pm. [D]. [E]. Matinees Mon—Fri £2 (Child/0AI’V'Studentx11840£1 ). Evening and Saturday shows £2.90 ( Student/111340 £1.90:Chi1dx'()AP £1.30).
Sweetie ( 15) 6pm. 8.30pm.
Repentance ( 15) 10.30am.
Blue Mountains ( 15) & The Step ( 15) 2pm. Sweetie ( 15 1 6pm. 8.30pm.
Sweetie (15) 6pm.8.3(1pm. MONDAY 21
Monsieur Hire ( 15) 6pm.
Sweetie ( 15) 8.3(1pm.
Monsieur Hire ( 15) 6pm.
Sweetie ( 15) 8.30pm.
Monsieur Hire ( 15) 5.45pm. 7.311pm. 9.15pm.
Swimming To Cambodia (18) plus personal appearance by Spalding Gray 6pm. Monsieur Hire ( 15) 9. 15pm.
Fri 18/Sai 19:
I CANNON The Forge. Parkhead
1. Look Who’s Talking ( 12) 1 1 .25pm. 2.PrettyWoman(15) 11.15pm.
3. The KrayS(l8) 11.3(1pm.
4. Leviathan ( 18) 11.3(1pm.
5. The Hunt For Red October ( PG) 1 l . 15pm. 6.1nternalAttairs(18)11.20pm.
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Chi|d(l8) 11.35pm.
I GROSVENOR Ashton Lane
1. Good Morning Vietnam ( 15) 1 1pm. 2.8upervixen5(18)& Uitravixen8118) 11pm.
'I INBURGH CINEMAS
I CAMEO llome Street. 2284141. Bar open Mon—Sat6—11.3(1pszun6—11pm. £1 .50 for 1st show; £2.50 for 2nd show; £2.90 for 3rd and 41h shows. Lates £2.80(£2). All tickets £2 on Sundays. Johnny Handsome ( 15) 2.30pm. 4.40pm. 6.50pm. 9pm.
See also Edinburgh Lates.
I CANNON I.othian Road. 229 3030. Bar: 11am—2.30pm.5—10pm(Mon—Fri). 11am--l0pm (Sat). 6.30—10pm (Sun). [1)] cinemas 2 & 3. Pullman seats (cinema 1 only) £4; all other seats £3. Child £2 (Pullman). £1 .60. ()Al’i'l .60(before 6pm).
1. The Hunt For Red October 1 PG) 1.15pm. 4.20pm. 7.40pm
2. internal Attairs ( 18) 2.05pm. 5.1)5pm. 8.05pm.
3. Driving Miss Daisy (U) 2.20pm. 5.20pm. 8.20pm.
I DOMINION Newbattle Terrace. 447 2660. Restaurant 10am—3pm. 5—1 1pm (Mon). l0am--10.30pm (Tue-Fri). l0am—noon. 2—1 1pm (Sat). Bar noon—3pm. 6— 10pm (Mon—Fri):6—10pm (Sat); 6.30—8.30pm (Sun). Tickets
£1 .701or late matinee shows commencing 5—6pm: £2.60 (Child/Student/UB40£1 .70; CAP £1.50. all shows except evening showsin cinema3).
1. The Hunt For Red October(15)2.1()pm. 5.10pm. 8. 10pm.
2. Look Who's Talking ( 12) 2.30pm. 5.30pm. 8.30pm.
3. The Fabulous Baker Boys ( 15) 2pm.5pm. 8pm.
I ODEON Clerk Street. 667 7331/668 2101. Bar 5.30—9pm. [1)] screens 1.2 and 3. Shows commencing before 6pm £2.50 ((‘hild/Student.’()APxUB40£1.75); shows commencing after 6pm £3
(Child. Student GAP/[1840 £2): no concessions on final shows.
1. Pretty Woman(15) 12.2(1pm.3pm. 5.30pm. 8.30pm.
2. Look Who's Talking ( 12) 12.50pm.
3. 10pm. 5.45pm. 8.45pm.
3. Leviathan ( 18) 1.15pm. 3.30pm.5.45pm (not Sun). 8.45pm.
Nuns On The Run (12)(Sunonly)6pm.
4. The Krays ( 18) 12.30pm (not Sat.Sun). 3pm (not Sat. Sun). 5.30pm. 8.30pm.
5. Torrents Oi Spring (PG) 2.411pm. 4.30pm. 8.30pm.
The War OiThe Roses ( 15) (1pm.
I.othian Road. 228 2688. Bar (Mon—Sat. noon— 1 1pm. Sun 6.30—1 1pm) Restaurant (Mon—Sat. noon-9pm). [E]. Matinees £1 .50 ((‘hild/OAP’Studcnt/L‘B40£ l )2 shows commencing before 7pm £2 (Child/()AP/UB40 £1 .50); shows commencing after 7pm and double bills £3 (no concessions). bookable in advance. No concessions on Sats.
1. Black Rain ( 18) 2.3(lpm.
Sweetie (15) 5pm. 7pm.9pm.
2. The Citadel ( 1 5) 3pm. 6.45pm.8.45pm. SATURDAY 19
1. Asierix And The Big Fight (U) 2pm. Sweetie ( 15) 5. 15pm. 7pm. 9pm.
2. The Citadel ( 15) 3pm. 6.45pm. 8.45pm. SUNDAY 20
1. Soil On The Inside (U) 6.45pm.
Sweetie ( 15) 8.45pm.
2. Jumpin' Jack Flash ( 15) (1. 15pm.8.3(1pm. MONDAY 21
1. Manon Des Sources ( I’Ci)2.3()pm. 6.15pm.
Sweetie ( 15) 8.45pm.
2. Les Valseuse8(18)& ButielFroid(15) 2.45pm. 7pm.
1. Manon Des Sources (PG) 2.30pm. Sweetie ( 15) 5pm. 7pm.9pm.
2. Last Exit To Brooklyn ( 18)6. 15pm. 8.30pm.
1. Celia ( 15) 2.30pm. 6.45pm.8.45pm.
2. Macbeth (PG) 3pm. 6.30pm.
Last Exit To Brooklyn ( 18) 8.30pm. THURSDAY 24
1. Brazil ( 15) 2.30pm. 6pm.
Celia ( 15) 8.45pm.
2. Last ExitTo Brooklyn ( 18) 3pm. (1. 15pm. 8.30pm.
I CAMEO llome Street
BettyBlue(18)& Blue Velvet(18) 11.15pm. $3119:
Mystery Train ( 15) & Down By Law(15) 11.15pm.
I FILMHOUSE I.othian Road
I ODEON (‘lerk Street
Pretty Woman ( 15) 1 1.30pm.
The Kraysil8) 11.15pm.