ii: a; g 1 'V if".
Te hema IC
‘I'VE ALWAYS HATED HEAW METAL IN HORROR MOVIES'
Metal-head-cum-filmmaker ROB ZOMBIE loves horror movies, but, as he tells Miles Fielder, his new flick ain’t no straightforward splatterfest.
ohert Cummings. :\K:\ Roh '/.omhie
(pictured right). ones horror mox'ies. IIe
named his metal hand and renamed himsell‘
alter the original unquiet undead l‘lick. Victor IIaIperin‘s ll'liiir' Aim/m ( I‘BZ ).
‘.\l_x' I‘ax'ourite horror ﬁlms are prettx t_xpica|.~ s;l_\‘s the Massachttsetts-horn '/.omhie. ‘lhiii‘ii oil/iv /)('(l(/ is probably my l‘ax‘ourite. 'I'hat xx'as the lust time I had seen an_xthing like that in a theatre. It came outta nowhere and blew m_x mind. So. _\'ou'x e seen [horn and you think this is as era/x as it can get. right'.’ Then I saxx' ('uiiiii/m/ llu/m-(uisil I xxas like. "Jesus (‘hrist. where the luck did this come l‘rom'T"
Ilax'ing directed all ol his own pop promos. Zombie's first foray into l'eature lilmmaking. '/'/i(' Home of /()()() ('ur/is'r'x. xx'as a composite oi all his I‘ax‘ourite horror mox'ics. But xx hiIe it xx as l'un spotting rel‘erences to ex'er_x'thing lrom IIcrshaII (iordon I.exx'is to 'Iohe Hooper. the rather ineptlx executed film had little going (or it aside lrom an ex'ident one of the horror genre.
Zombie‘s second leature. 'I‘lir' lh'i'i/‘s Refer/x. hoasts hetter production standards. a more drixen narratix‘e and a prolcssional cast (including a ten genre x'eterans). It's another sell-conscioust ll'ttsll) moxie. and it‘s rel'erential (it other lilms to the point of plagiarism. but this time round '/,omhie‘s broadened his hori/ons (literally) h_x holting together two Iiiltii genres: the 70s sicko horror ﬂick (noticeahlx the spIztllCt'IL‘sls ol ('rax’en and IIooperi and the end—oli-the-hippx —era road moxie (think Iii/st Ruler. l’uiiix/iiiig I’m/ill. Dir/x .llurx'. ('i'uix‘ l.(i/'ij\'l. In reimagining characters akin to the Manson cult as
counterculture outlrixx s. Zombies come up with a moxie that's in equal parts proxocatixe and parodic. ‘I inst one the idea ol hanging out xxith isolated groups ol' people xxho are outlaxx s. era/x. desperate outlaxxs.‘ saxs /.omhic. xx ho \\;is horn in Woo. shortlx hel'ore the summer ol' one signalled the cIima\ ol the era ol' peace and one. 'It‘s l'unnx. I nexer once relcrenccd a horror moxie. .\I_x higgest
Icar xxhen I xxas hiring the production designer or costume designer is that the_x xxould look at horror
Itiox‘ies and l didn‘t want Illill look or Iccl. St) I told them to xxatch an_xthing xxith desert and open road. .sltlI'I' like l/ll'U /.(III<' li/(It'I/xlU/l.‘
l'nsurprisinglx. music plaxs a large part in establishing the retro mood ol' the moxie. 'I‘he Iinal scene ol the lilm leatures l._xn_xrd Skxnxrd‘s countrx rock epic ‘I'ree Bird in its entiretx. '()ne thing I‘xe
alxxaxs hated is heaxx metal music in horror moxiesf sa_xs /.omhie. 'It‘s just so ohxious. so oxer
the top. So. the .'\IIman Brothers~ songs \xc use
the'x‘re like sad outlaxx music. the xxhole moxie to me hits it sad (i\ L‘I'ltiliL‘ [H it. Not heroic Lil LtII. Ilis like that reaIIx great Manson documentarx that came out in the 7(ls that has this sort ol' l‘lute I‘oIk music running through it. that is so. . . creep). .\'ice music xxith horril'ic images. .\ Iot ol' people don‘t get it. 'I‘he'x ~re like. “Oh xcah. that‘s lunnx. it’s supposed to he a lunnx iu\taposition." I xxasn't thinking that it
xxould he l'unnx. Iitist thought it xxould hax e a lot ol'
The Devil’s Rejects is on selected release from Fri 5 Aug. See review, page 24.
THE BEST FILM & DVD RELEASES
* Dear Wendy Ex Dogme superduo Lars Von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg return with this bizarre satire of small town American pioneer mores. Inspired and very odd. See feature. page 6, and review. page 24. GFT, Glasgow and Cameo, Edinburgh.
* The Devil’s Rejects Rob Zombie's wild homage-laden follow-up to House of 7000 Corpses is a treat for fans of horror and 19708 road movies alike. See preview. page, left. and review, page 24. Selected release.
* Victim Lovely new print of Basil Dearden‘s crusading 1961 classic starring Dirk Bogarde. This film was central to the campaign to decriminalise homosexuality in the UK in the early 1960s. GF-T. Glasgow.
* The Skeleton Key Commendable New Orleans voodoo horror. General release. * Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Burton, Depp and Dahl. what more do you want? General release.
* 3-lron Golf and violence Korean-style. GFT, Glasgow and Fi/mhouse, Edinburgh (until Thu 7 7 Aug only).
* Westworld/Logan’s Run Great double bill action of this pair of cheesy but deeply appealing 70$ sci-ti flicks. GFT, Glasgow (Sun 7 Aug only).
* Festival Last chance to see this prescient, biting satire of the Edinburgh Fringe. Film/rouse, Edinburgh.
* Paradise Lost/Revelations: Paradise Lost 2 DVD release of two deeply disturbing documentaries about the aftermath of the child murders of Robin Hood Hills in Arkansas. See review. page 25. Out now (Warp Films).
i\ .\:. THE LIST 23